- Know every medicine you take and why you take it. A pharmacy specialist, Tod Semia, Pharm.D., said that a surprising number of people don’t know what they take or why. Take the time to review the medications with the pharmacist, check the dosage and review what the doctor says.
- Only buy your drugs at a single pharmacy. Most of them have computers that check for potentially dangerous drug interactions that can happen when you get prescriptions from different doctors. Develop an ongoing relationship with an individual pharmacist, who will look out for your safety more if he knows you and what meds you take.
- Schedule a “brown bag” appointment with the pharmacist you have a good relationship with. Bring every medicine especially the over-the-counter and herbals you take as well as the prescribed one. When you have a long meeting like this, your pharmacist can identify negative side effects and any overlapping therapies.
Prescriptions are checked and even double checked in pharmacies and still there are mistakes. Some prescriptions cause little more than stress or inconvenience, but many can lead to serious consequences. To avoid such problems, you need to take your health care into your own hands.
- Senior Care: Watch Out for Medication Mistakes from Sequoia Senior Solutions Blog
Stanton Lawson is the Co-Owner of Sequoia Senior Solutions. Sequoia’s mission is to ensure a better quality of life for their elderly clients and their families, by providing dependable and affordable in-home care. Sequoia’s focus is to keep you or your loved ones at home and avoid:
- Loss of friends and possessions
- Loss of independence and freedom
- Loss of spirit which is drained by the battles of daily living
Sequoia Senior Solutions, Inc. serves Napa, Sonoma, Marin, Solano, Mendocino, Lake Counties. The main office is located at191 Lynch Creek Way, Suite 102, Petaluma, CA 94954. Email email@example.com Tel: (707) 763-6600 Fax: (707) 763-6607, www.sequoiaseniorsolutions.com.