This video will increase your understanding of Alzheimer’s Disease, and help you form the necessary frame of reference to deal with these problems effectively. There is a brief outline of the video below.
What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Alzheimer’s Disease is a slow, fatal disease of brain affecting one out of every 10 people over age 65. No one is immune.
- Two abnormal kinds of protein fragments in the brain, plaques and tangles, accumulate in the brain and kill brain cells. This starts in the hippocampus where memories are first formed. It slowly becomes harder for people to form new memories.
- Then more plaques and tangles spread to different regions of the brain and kill more cells, compromising functions where ever they go. This spreading causes the different stages of Alzheimer’s.
- From the hippocampus the plaques and tangles go to the region where language is processed, making it harder to find the right word. Next, they go to the front of the brain where logical thought takes place, making it hard to solve problems and make plans.
- After that they go to the part of the brain where emotions are regulated so that the person loses control of moods and feelings.
- Then the disease goes to the part of the brain controlling senses, possibly sparking hallucinations. Following that they erase the oldest and most precious memories in the back of the brain.
- Near the end, the disease compromises a person’s balance and coordination; and in the final stage it destroys the part of the brain controlling breathing and the heart.
- Brain Scan for Alzheimer’s (technologyreview.com)
- Pathological aging brains contain the same amyloid plaques as Alzheimer’s disease (medicalxpress.com)
Stanton Lawson is the Co-Owner of Sequoia Senior Solutions. Sequoia’s mission is to ensure a better quality of life for their elderly clients and their families, by providing dependable and affordable in-home care. Sequoia’s focus is to keep you or your loved ones at home and avoid:
- Loss of friends and possessions
- Loss of independence and freedom
- Loss of spirit which is drained by the battles of daily living
Sequoia Senior Solutions, Inc. serves Napa, Sonoma, Marin, Solano, Mendocino, Lake Counties. The main office is located at191 Lynch Creek Way, Suite 102, Petaluma, CA 94954. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (707) 763-6600 Fax: (707) 763-6607, www.sequoiaseniorsolutions.com.