If you decide to hire a private in-home caregiver, there are some things you need to ask the caregiver and ask yourself. While we at Sequoia Senior Solutions live in California and so give these questions a California twist, you can substitute your state’s name in its place:
1. Can the caregiver provide at least five (5) personal and professional references?
2. Is the caregiver willing to submit a criminal history report from the California
Department of Justice? (P.O. Box 903417, Sacramento, CA 94203-4170, ATTN: Records Review Unit)
3. Is the caregiver willing to provide a 5-year driving record from the California Department
of Motor Vehicles?
4. Does the caregiver have yearly TB tests and can she/he provide the latest results?
5. Who will take care of me or my loved one if the caregiver is unable to work due to an emergency or illness?
6. Am I prepared to perform all the duties of an employer, including withholding and
depositing income taxes, social security taxes, and other employer taxes?
7. Am I prepared to manage the caregiver by administering performance reviews and
8. Does my homeowners insurance cover Worker’s Compensation should the household
employee be injured on the job?
9. Am I prepared to perform background checks to ensure the safety of my home and loved
10. Am I prepared to do this all over again if the caregiver I hire does not work out?
For more information:
- Be careful out there…please (rickmorey.wordpress.com)
- Knowing The Facts About In Home Senior Care Services
- Caregiving….what it means to me. (camsgranny.wordpress.com)
- Unprepared to Provide Family Caregiving? A simple tip to lighten the load. (rickmorey.wordpress.com)
Stanton Lawson is the Co-Owner of Sequoia Senior Solutions. Sequoia’s mission is to ensure a better quality of life for their elderly clients and their families, by providing dependable and affordable in-home care. Sequoia’s focus is to keep you or your loved ones at home and avoid:
- Loss of friends and possessions
- Loss of independence and freedom
- Loss of spirit which is drained by the battles of daily living
Sequoia Senior Solutions, Inc. serves Napa, Sonoma, Marin, Solano, Mendocino, Lake Counties. The main office is located at191 Lynch Creek Way, Suite 102, Petaluma, CA 94954. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (707) 763-6600 Fax: (707) 763-6607, www.sequoiaseniorsolutions.com.