Although many senior citizens are avid Facebook users, there are others who aren’t. Facebook, which was launched in 2004, is a great vehicle to keep family in touch with each other during busy and far from each other’s lives. There are over 36.5 million seniors in the U.S. and 351,000 become senior citizens each year. Seniors 65 to 74 make up over 5 % of internet users. Furthermore 35.9 % of seniors regularly access internet, making those who are interested a super source of possible Facebook patrons.
If you want your parents or grandparents to stay in touch with family, you might want to help them become Facebook users. Let’s spend some time looking at how to go about this.
- You need to encourage your parent to be open-minded because no matter what the age, a person can learn to use this technology. If your parent displays a bad attitude, there is no reason to go any farther at this time. But if your parent shows interest here are some ideas that you can focus on to get them sold on learning.
- Most grandparents who use Facebook say that they do it to keep an eye on their grandchildren. Facebook is a great source of communication that your parents can use to stay in touch with their family, friends, and people they care for. Facebook is convenient, accessible and not too expensive. These can motivate your parent to try something new like Facebook.
- Remind your parent that there is nothing magic or odd about Facebook. Be sure you have some clear ideas that you can explain this to him or her.
- Remember that older people tend to be patient, persistent, and love learning. They are also just as curious as children. Use these characteristics as you do your training.
Do you think your parent would be interested in learning to use Facebook. Have they shown any interest? Please tell us about it in the box below.
Stanton Lawson is the Co-Owner of Sequoia Senior Solutions. Sequoia’s mission is to ensure a better quality of life for their elderly clients and their families, by providing dependable and affordable in-home care. Sequoia’s focus is to keep you or your loved ones at home and avoid:
- Loss of friends and possessions
- Loss of independence and freedom
- Loss of spirit which is drained by the battles of daily living
Sequoia Senior Solutions, Inc. services Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, Sonoma and Solano Counties. The main office is located at191 Lynch Creek Way, Suite 102, Petaluma, CA 94954. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (707) 763-6600 Fax: (707) 763-6607, www.sequoiaseniorsolutions.com.
- Grandma Has A Facebook?? (raleighpublicrelations.com)